Torn Basil, Heirloom Tomato, and Mozzarella Fresca Salad
It doesn't get easier or more elegant than this. And frankly its borderline sacrilegious to not be using mouthwatering heirloom tomatoes right now at their peak-of-ripeness with the freshest olive oil in the world. Simply unthinkable.
- 6 Cups baby arugula washed, spun dry
- 2 cups of sliced heirloom tomatoes
- 1/3 cup freshly torn basil leaves
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound mozzarella fresca thinly sliced or bocconcini sliced in half
- 1/2 extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Apricot white balsamic - or your white balsamic of choice
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the Champagne and white balsamic in a small bowl and place the red onions in the bowl to quickly "pickle" for 5 minutes or up to 10 minutes. The vinegar will turn a light shade of pink. Remove the onions and reserve. Whisk the mustard and salt into the vinegar. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking briskly and constantly to create a semi-emulsion.
Just before serving dress the baby arugula with just a few drizzles of the vinaigrette. Arrange the dressed arugula in layer in a shallow, wide bowl or platter. Add the pickled onions, sliced tomatoes, cheese and torn basil leaves over the top. Add a few more drizzles of the viniagrette and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Serve immediately with crusty bread to mop up any dressing left on the platter/bowls.